Thursday, September 26, 2013

Filling a Bucket

Autumn had her first Brownie meeting of the school year this past Tuesday. During the meeting the girls talked about how they can fill someones bucket and how they empty someones bucket. They shared that being mean to people or saying hurtful things will empty it. And being nice and saying pleaseant things will fill it. For 8 years olds they really "got" the concept and were excited to share their thoughts.

The next day I decided that I was going to fill some buckets. It's really not a hard thing to do and doesn't take a lot of time. But I think we all get so busy and consumed with our own lives that we seldom take the time to do this unless we know someone is hurting or sad.

So I sent out a couple emails. The first one was to Zachary's Spanish teacher. This subject was tremendously hard for Joshua last year and he, unfortunately, ended up with a bad teacher. I don't call teachers bad easily. But I really feel this one failed not only my son, but the entire class. It got to the point where I told him to just get a passing grade so he didn't have to take it again. It was a hard year for him and I stressed about High School and Spanish 2.

Anyway, back to Zachary. He got a FABULOUS teacher this year for Spanish 1 and has been telling me about her almost daily. He is really enjoying the class, the language and her. So I let her know. I think middle school teachers are surprised when they hear praise. Parents are not as involved at this age level and usually only talk with teachers about the negative. She was so happy to get my email and so appreciative that I took the time to let her know what a great job she was doing.

The next email went out to Joshua's art teacher. I had volunteered to help her this year so in response to that I also let her know how much he is enjoying her class and how much he likes her. She was also appreciative of the compliments.

So far the school year is going great. All 3 kids are so happy with their teachers and classes. It's so nice to hear them talking positively about school and learning.

I challenge you to fill someone's bucket today...just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment