Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Diabetic Rollar Coaster

The past 12 hours have been a diabetic rollar coaster for Autumn. She woke up at 1am and didn't feel good. Her ankle hurt and she felt shakey. Normally shakey means low. Last night it was high. 395. Her normal range is between 90 and 160. I don't usually freak out by the high numbers (at least not right away). I got her some water. Got her settled on the couch and told her I'd re-check in 20 minutes. I knew if I went back to sleep I wouldn't get up to re-check so I sat next to her and read a book. Next check, 398. A little higher, but I wasn't sure if I should be concerned yet or not. More water, more reading, 20 minutes later another check. 419.

Crap. Now I could freak out. The corrections (added insulin) and water were not working. I was going to have to change the site for her pump. Poor kid is 1/2 asleep, I can barely focus but I had to get those numbers down. Site change done. More reading. 20 minute check. The number is the same!

Would I EVER get her sugar down? Water. Read. Check. 375. Still not a great number, but it was going down. It is now 3:30am. All she wants to do is be left alone and sleep. All I want to do is set my head on my pillow.

But, of course, being the mom that I am, when my head hit the pillow I worried that she may drop too low now. And would I hear my alarm in my room to wake up in time to get Joshua up? I must have dozed off because I swore I heard my alarm. I looked at the clock and it was only 4:30. I must have dreampt it. Autumn is sleeping soundly by this time. I'm tossing and turning.

6:15 I hear Todd in the kitchen. I never did hear my alarm, but he did. He got the boys up, got them breakfast (I think), made them lunches (I think) and got them off to school (I'm assuming since they were not here when we finally woke up this morning).

Autumn woke up at 8:00. She still wasn't feeling well, I knew she was tired so I convinced her to try and fall back asleep. By 8:30 I gave up and let her watch a movie on my kindle. 9:00 she tells me she is feeling shakey. Shit! Again? 114 this time!

I can't imagine what her poor little body must feel like going from such a high number to an almost low number.

So we decided to play hookey today and just chill. Number before lunch...51! Seriously? I try not to complain, but sometimes I want to kick diabetes in the ass!

Never did figure out why her ankle hurt last night. It's fine now. One of the strange diabetic mysteries we will never be able to solve.

Did I mention that I've never liked rollar coasters?

No comments:

Post a Comment