Tuesday, October 15, 2013

High School

Looking back, High School really was a great time in my life. At the time I didn't think so, but now that I have a High Schooler it's all coming back.

I volunteered to help the Art teacher at Joshua's school this year. I've been very active in the elementary school all along. Didn't do a whole lot in middle school. Saw the opportunity to be at the high school and took it.

Joshua, surprisingly, took it very well. My "job" is to help the art teacher by putting up artwork in display cabinets throughout the school. Seriously? Could you think of a better job for me?

My first day was last week. I have to admit, I was a little nervous. The school is BIG and I have only been in one area of it. The teacher took me to my destination and I told her I may have to call her to figure out how to get back to her classroom. She laughed and explained that I was in a big circle. No matter which way I went I would eventually end up back at the office. Good to know, as I did get turned around a time or two.

When I was done it was lunch time for part of the school. (I'm sure Joshua is thankful that it wasn't HIS lunch time). I had to walk through the eating area to get back to the art room. (Not sure exactly what they call it, it's not really a lunch room). It was VERY intimidating walking through all those students. I didn't want to make eye contact with them for fear I saw one of his friends. Wouldn't that be embarrasing to have your mom talk to one of your friends while they were eating lunch? I get it. So I tried to be cool as I walked through. As luck would have it, one of his friends was walking directly towards me. Poor kid looked shocked when he realized he knew me. But he's a good kid and said hi to me. I said hi back and continued on my way. Of course I had to tell Joshua right away! His friends like me! (Either that or they just have really good manners).

On my way out I had to go through the lunch area AGAIN. Decided to take what I thought was a short cut and ended up in the school store. Lots of strange looks in there. Believe me, it was an accident. I high-tailed it out of there quickly.

44 years old and I'm intimidated by a bunch of high schoolers! But I was a little jealous of them also. At this age all they have to worry about is getting good grades and getting into college. Oh to be young again.

And the artwork I hung! Another jealous moment. How I would love to be in art class again. There is some real talent there amongst those kids. Or maybe I'd like to be the art teacher. All I know is I really wanted to learn what these kids were learning. Maybe if the teacher likes me enough she will give me private lessons. My goal: to do an outstanding job on those display cabinets!

I'm happy for Joshua that he is having such a positive experience in high school. I know he will look back on these years and realize how great they were. Maybe one day he will be walking through his childs school and will feel like I feel today.

No comments:

Post a Comment