Monday, October 14, 2013

Am I really proud about that?

It amazes me how much I have changed since being a mom. So many changes that I couldn't even list them all.

The change that made me think about this blog post has to do with hunting. I grew up a city girl. My dad didn't hunt or fish, either did my brothers. My Grandpa did, but way before my time. So I knew some stories but that was all.

Now I have 2 boys who love the outdoors and look forward to this time of the year. A couple weekends ago was Youth Hunt. They went up north to "do their thing". Before they left Zachary informed me that he was going to get me 2 bucks. ME? If someone had said that to me 10 years ago I would have been horrified! It's not that I was ever against hunting, it was just something I didn't understand. It's not something I would want to do with them, but it's something that makes them proud so it makes me proud.

5 of their friends were also hunting that weekend. 2 different families. I'm friends with the moms and we kept in contact with each other all weekend via texts, pictures and Facebook. Sharing the victorys of our kids. I have to say, I was excited for each and every one of them that got a deer. Of the 7 kids (including my 2) 5 of them came home with one. Who knew I would be so excited for them all?

Zachary got a buck the first day out. He decided to take the day off the next day so he didn't end up with 2 like he wanted, but he was still a happy kid.

Joshua is my hunting-snob. He is not going to just shoot anything. This kid is going for the Trophy deer. Unfortunately he did not see it this weekend. But he was excited for his brother and all his friends that got one. There is a long season ahead and I know he will get one.

Then comes the processing. Again...10 years ago I would have been freaking out about the whole thing. (Actually, I WAS freaking out about it back then when my father-in-law would bring his over to process). I do tell the boys that I'm happy to look at the pictures, but I don't want to see their deer again until it's ready to go into the freezer.

This year Joshua and Zachary did most of the processing themselves. (Well...mostly Joshua, but Zachary did help some). I think it is pretty amazing that 13 and 14 year old boys can do something like that. And are so proud. They are proud not only because they got a deer and cleaned the deer, but because they are providing food for their family. I can't think of too many other kids who feel like that. It really makes me a proud mom.

I had to sit back and think this all through and I really can't believe that I turned into the mom who would be supportive and excited for this season. Shows how much I love those guys.

Joshua is hunting locally this year with a friend and goes away as many weekends as he can to hunt. I miss him while he is away. And I worry, of course. But I'm so happy he has these opportunities.

Welcome Hunting Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment