Friday, August 2, 2013

Spring Break 1987

I'm not sure what made me think about this, but it's too good a story not to share.

It was Spring Break 1987. Daytona Beach, Florida. My best friend, Rose and I flew there and met up with our boyfriends and about 10 other guys from our school. My parents let me go mainly because my boyfriend would be there and they felt I would be safe. Huh...as a parent now I question that, but will just leave it as they must have really trusted me.

Anyway, back to Daytona. The "theme" that year was Party Naked. Yes, it really was. I, of course, came home with my neon orange Party Naked t-shirt (which I still have to this day) and a pile of Party Naked bumper stickers in assorted colors!

Note: I could wear that t-shirt to school and not get sent home. I'm sure if my kids wore it now I would be getting a phone call from the school within minutes of them being there.

This was my senior year in High School. I drove to school, had 3 classes than left at lunch time to go to work. I drove my dads 1981 Firebird. (Yes, I was the little bitch with the cool car. Little did people know that my dad had driven that poor car almost to it's grave. It looked nice but it drove ruff). And on that Firebird was one of my Party Naked bumper stickers. (My poor dad, he sometimes still drove it, bumper sticker and all).

One night some friends and I were cruisin' Main Street in downtown Plymouth. That was the thing to do that year. Drive down one way, turn around and drive down the other way. Most weekend nights the traffic was bumper to bumper. That particular night I was making my turnaround and got pulled over by a Police officer. (Note: my friends and I were ALL decked out in heels, short skirts, huge hair, lots of make-up...the works!) He asked me to step out of the car than asked me who the car belonged to. I told him my dad. He asked if my dad partied naked. I was not amused and was a total smart ass at the time so my response was "No he builds missiles". I got a strange look to that. It was the truth but I'm sure it was not the response he was expecting. He let me go with no other questions. No ticket. Nothing.

My dad actually got a kick out of the story when I told him. Apparently I got pulled over because of that bumper sticker. That's all I can figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment