Monday, July 29, 2013

Moving Down

Zachary decided he no longer wanted his loft bed. He designed a bed and asked my dad to help him build it. They've been working on it for the past couple weeks and are close to completion. This means he has to get his room ready for it. Not only does he want a new bed, he wants to pretty much re-do his whole room. I'm good with this, although a little sad that he's growing up and his room is soon going to be a teenagers room.

We live in a small house and I have to "stach" things where I can. This means I have stuff in almost every closet in the house. Including Zachary's closet. So this weekend we tackled that mess! It's a job that is way past due and surprising wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I pictured myself in the closet pulling everything out and sorting it all. What actually happened was Zachary did all the pulling and I got to sit on the floor and do the sorting!

Cleaning is not something I ever want to do. I don't enjoy it. I have to force myself to do it. But cleaning Zachary's closet was actually fun. Autumn was at a friends house and Joshua had a friend over. So I got a couple hours alone with Zachary. In my world one-on-one with my kids doesn't happen very often. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing things with all 3 of them, but there's something special about those rare one-on-ones. I'm sure the whole time he was counting down the minutes until it would be done, especially when he found his writing folder from 2nd grade and had to listen to me read about his winter break that year, and the paper that predicted what he would be doing when he was a teenager and an adult. Absolutely PRICELESS! What a find!

I also got one-on-one time with Joshua this weekend. He decided to move down into a regular bed too. Since Zachary had dibs with Grandpa, Joshua decided to use a bed that my parents had at their house. He got his room all ready for it and Friday evening we brought the bed home.

Joshua has a beautfiul armore that my dad built him when he was a baby. I used it as a changing table in the early years. Than later as a closet. Now the top is full of hunting clothes. He asked me if I would make his bed for him and help sort/fold all his hunting things. Woo Hoo! One-on-one with my eldest! I'll take it! Even if it means cleaning, sorting and folding.

I am grateful for these precious moments I got to spend with my boys this weekend. I doubt they even thought twice about it. But to me it was an unexpected treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment