Thursday, June 27, 2013

Male Etiquette

A couple came in to work to find out about ordering wedding invitations. They were an older couple. This would be the 2nd marriage for both of them. When they left I happened to look outside and saw the man walk his fiance to the passengers side of their car, open the door for her, help her in, close her door for her, than went and got himself in on the drivers side.

I looked at my boss, told him what I had just saw and made the comment "How am I going to teach my boys to be like that when so few people are now and days?" I think it definately is a generation thing. My mom has never pumped her own gas, my dad has always done it for her. I pump my own gas and open my own doors.

I googled Male Etiquette and this is what I found:
  • Make others feel like they're the center of attention
  • Watch your mouth
  • Remove your hat indoors
  • Wait for others to get their food before eating
  • Stand when a women enters/leaves the room
  • Help a lady with her chair
  • Hold her the door
  • Reach for the check
  • Open her car door
  • Walk on the curb side of the street (This one reminded me of my high school sweetheart. His mom told him the man should always sit by the isle in a movie theatre in case someone came by with a knife and tried to stab you. Horrible thought, but he always sat on the isle. He had a good mom, she taught him well. I wonder if it stuck?)
  • Offer her your arm
This site I found this list on ended the list with this quote:
"Being a modern gentleman doesn't have to be hard, and, in fact, it's easier than ever. It's all about self-awareness and consideration for those around you. Those never go out of style."

So in my mind because I found a list, I feel that Male Etiquette should still be taught to young men. I'm going to print this list out and hang it in both my boys rooms. I want them to be respectful when they start dating and later get married. I want their significant other to feel like she is the most special person in the world. I want her to feel like she is loved and taken care of. If my boys cannot learn by example, they shall learn by me hounding them! And hopefully one day someone will look out the window and see one of MY boys opening a car door for someone and think how wonderful that is.







No comments:

Post a Comment