Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Police

Growing up we saw a lot of the police on our street. Thanks to my brothers (mostly one of them). The neighbors called because of go-carts, mini bikes, fast cars and cars parked in the street too long.

It was a typical day to watch my brother come up the driveway like a bat-out-of-hell on whatever vehicle he was driving (like a maniac). He would drive into the garage and slam the door down real quick. A couple seconds later the police would be driving down our street, real slow, looking for him. He would wait a little while and go out again. My mom took it all in stride. Very seldom did they actually come to the door. (Or at least I don't remember them coming to the door).

The police have paid us a couple visits since the boys have gotten a little older. (Okay, maybe more than a couple visits, LOL!)

Last night Josh was at a friends house and her mom and I were chatting in the yard for a while. Zachary had just left with Josh's 4-wheeler. 5 minutes later a police car came driving down the street, slowly. They turned around and left. Kim (Josh's friends mom) looked at me and said "That's strange, the police never come down here". I had to chuckle, as I figured someone had mostly likely called them about Zachary and the 4-wheeler.

That brought up the go-cart memory. Josh's friend was at our house, years ago and the mail lady called the police on them because she was nervous about them driving the go-cart when she was doing her deliveries. Come to find out, that is one of the friends favorite stories to tell! Her mom is hoping that will be the only time the police will be called on her!

Other times have included calls for large bonfires, bonfires on the ice/lake, the 4-wheelers, the go-cart...I'm sure I'm missing some, but you get the idea. And like my mom, I take it all in stride.

And I will say, the Oakland County Sheriffs whom I've had the pleasure of speaking with have been GREAT! My kids have not been called on for doing anything harmful, illegal (well...not the BAD illegal stuff!) or destructive. We live in a community where it's common to see these vehicals and bonfires on a regular basis. Every now and they we get the nervous-nelly's who just have to make that call. Again...I will take it all in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment