Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It's the little things...

Money has always been tight for us. When we do anything "extra" we have to carefully decide if we can afford it or not.

As a parent this can cause a lot of stress. I would love to spoil my kids and never have to say no. But the reality is, if they want something big, they have to save for it. My kids know that and very seldom ask for anything that they know I cannot afford to get them. And they appreciate the things I do get for them.

This weekend was a long weekend and everyone went their separate ways. Joshua went hunting, Zachary hung out with friends and Autumn and I had a girls weekend. I knew the boys wanted some extra spending money for the weekend but neither one asked. So Saturday morning I told them if they did chores for me I would pay them. Normally chores are unpaid in my house, but I not only wanted them to have the extra money, I also wanted my house clean! Win, win for everyone. For a good 2 hours there were no complaints and solid work being done. My house and backyard looked fabulous and I had happy kids!

On Sunday Joshua was hunting and Zachary went to a Carnival/Fair for 10 hours. I asked Autumn if she wanted to go to the Carnival also but she declined. Instead her and I went to a wonderful park close to our house. She played on the playground for a while than we visited the animals. We were treated to a beautiful show from a peacock! He had his feathers spread wide for us, than turned around to show us the back. Very cool!



After that I surprised her with a manicure. This was her first. I think she was a little nervous, but very excited. We sat next to each other and enjoyed getting our nails done. Huge success. Happy girl. I think she thanked me 100 times that day.


We didn't spend a lot of money that day, but I'm sure Autumn would tell you it was one of the best days she ever had. If nothing else, I'm teaching her to appreciate the little things.



No comments:

Post a Comment