Monday, May 20, 2013

Who am I today?

Do you ever feel like you are 20 people rolled into one? Sometimes I have to take a moment to figure out which one I am.

I'm always a mom. No matter where I am, where my kids are, or what we are all doing, the mom role never goes away.

I'm also an employee at a printing company. When I'm at work I have to get into my professional mode. My favorite parts of my job are being creative and helping customers. It amazes me the things that people share with me when they come in. Things I might hesitate to share with my very best friend! I don't know these people, they don't know me. Yet they feel compelled to share what's going on in their lives.

I don't really have a title at my job. When I was hired in 100 years ago (okay, it was 19 years ago) my title was Graphic Artist. Over the years my job responsibilities include everything but actually running a printing press. So we shall call my title "Everything".

Next is my Close To My Heart consultant job. I became a consultant with this wonderful scrapbooking and rubber stamping company 12 years ago when my boys were 1 and 2. I had decided I needed to stay home with them for a couple years and I needed something to do to get me away from the house 1 or 2 times a month. This was only going to be a temporary gig until I could get back to the print shop. Little did I know that it would become another career for me. My customer base and team grew so quickly and I found myself actually making money doing this! What a concept. I really just wanted to get out of the house and maybe make a couple bucks to spend on my own supplies. Within a year I was making enough to make the house payment each month. Than a little more. And it has continued on...

Next is Parent. I say parent instead of mom because this is the role I play at the schools. This was a huge role when my boys were in elementary school. Everyone on staff knew me there, most of the other parents knew me. I had my hands in a lot of things and loved it. 9 years later, I'm a little burned out. I help out with "some" things now. I go in the classroom when I can, but I've stepped away from being the super parent and am now just a parent.

So who am I today? I'm all of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment