Thursday, May 9, 2013

Little girls...big hearts

Autumn (my 7 year old daughter) is in a brownie group at school. Her troop has 20 girls. 20 second graders! And they are a hoot! You would think getting that many kids together would involve a lot of drama. Maybe that will come later, for now they are just happy to be there. They get along great. They don't play favorites or complain when they get partnered up with someone other than their best friend. It's a joy to be with them all.

They rocked it with cookie sales this year. They sold to family and friends and also had numerous cookie booths. At the booths there was a donation box. They received a lot of donations this year and decided to put that money towards Philanthropic Activites (as the leader stated! I would have said charities. I feel very grown up taking that title from her).

The first thing they decided to do was purchase coloring books to donate to kids in foster care through Big Family of Michigan. Love this idea. So proud of them for picking something so worth while.

The second thing they decided to do is create a team and participate in the Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes at the Detroit Zoo on Saturday, Sept. 14! I had goose bumps and tears in my eyes when I found this out. The girls will be donating $150 from their cookie donations to the American Diabetes Association and working to raise more funds through can drive(s), odd jobs and soliciting donations from family and friends over the summer. (Stay tuned...you will be notified as to how you can help out).

Autumn, who is a Type 1 Diabetic (which I shall now refer to as T1D) spoke to her troop and told them a little bit of what it's like to have diabetes and about some research that is currently taking place to find a cure. I wish I had been there to hear her speak. If you know her, you know that she is VERY knowledgable about her diabetes. And always willing to share. If you wanted to see where the site is to her pump, she'll show you her little tush so you can see where it's connected. Want to know how the pump works? She'll give you a full lesson. Some times it's hard to believe she is only 7. But like any other 7 year old, she gets things mixed up, so I'm wondering what exactly she shared about the research. I get confused when I read the articles, so I can only image her take on it all.

I'm so very proud of these little girls, with these amazingly big hearts who are going to do something so worth while that will benefit one of their own. I know they are going to work hard this summer to add to those donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment