Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What's Cookin?

Last night was one of those nights when I got home late from work and didn't have a plan for dinner. I don't know why it's so hard for me to plan out our meals for a week, but it is and I find myself winging it night after night.

So I decided to recruit the kids and we would all pitch in to cook. Here is the menu we came up with:
Fish
Corn on the Cob
Watermelon
Strawberries

The kids had caught a bunch of fish over the weekend and Joshua wanted to try breading it using Cheese It's. Success! Very yummy. Zachary used a rolling pin and turned them into crumbs. Joshua did the cooking. (Egg wash, cheese its, deep fryer.)

Autumn was in charge of making cocktail sauce for the fish. We prefer this over tartar sauce with our fish. (Ketchup and Horseradish Sauce.)

Zachary cut up the watermelon and I cooked the corn and cleaned the strawberries.

I love spending time in the kitchen with my kids. And I love that they take pride in knowing how to cook. I came home stressed but ended up having a fun time with them preparing and enjoying the meal we made together.

After dinner I had to make a dessert to take to Autumns Girl Scout Brownie picnic tomorrow night. I again recruited the kids and we whipped up some individual s'mores.

 
Recipe:
1 bag marshmallows
10 Graham Crackers (crushed into crumbs)
1 bag chocolate chips
Pretzel sticks
 
Put 1 pretzel stick in each marshmallow. Melt chocolate chips (I put them in a cup and melt in microwave. Set for 30 seconds, stir. Set for another 30 seconds, stir. Continue until completely melted). Coat marshmallow sides and top with melted chocolate chips, roll in crushed Graham crackers. Let set and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment